Questions to ask/details to confirm during your show round of the wedding venue
1) Is there a corkage charge? If so, what is the cost?
Venues can charge for corkage by package, per head/ bottle or very rarely by per bottle opened. If you are choosing a dry hire venue, there should be no corkage charge. Please refer to the below for more information on what a dry hire venue is.
2) Do we have exclusive use of the venue?
Some venues allow for more than one event to take place. Double check with the venue, so you are not startled by another wedding on your special day. One way to guarantee exclusivity is to ensure the contract states exclusive use of all the agreed rooms.
3) Is there onsite parking available? If not, how close is the nearest carpark? Will my guests have a discounted parking rate?
4) Can I use my own suppliers? If not, is there a preferred suppliers list?
Do not be put off with venues that have a preferred suppliers list as some lists are quite extensive (some have gone up to 90!). There are a number of benefits using the venue’s suppliers, including assurance the supplier would have worked at the venue multiple times which will enable a smoothly run event. Furthermore, venues only work with suppliers that reflect their venue in a positive light so trust in their expertise.
5) What external Asian Wedding caterers do you allow? Are there any fees for using external caterers?
Premium venues tend to only work with premium caterers as they will be a reflection of the venue on the day to your guests.
6) Are there any restrictions?
To name a few examples: confetti, smoke machines, live entertainment, noise, fireworks, naked flame (tea-lights, candelabra dinner candles).
7) What time are you licensed until? Do you offer a late licence? If so, what is the charge?
8) What are my live event and access timings?
Live event is the time when your guests can arrive at the venue and when they must leave by. Access timing is timing allocated for suppliers to set up and de rig. If you require large scale production, you might need to pay for set up the night prior. Some venues combine the timings (live event and access) so be sure to clarify. Ensure timings, both live event and access timings, are included within your contract.
9) Are you licensed for civil ceremonies? If not, are there licensed venues close by?
10) What furniture do you provide? Is there an inventory?
11) Can we hang drapes/ flower garlands/ eucalyptus/ fairy lights from the ceiling?
12) Do you allow for live entertainment i.e. Jazz band? Do they have to adhere to a decibel limit? What time can they play until?
13) Do we get a menu tasting? When will this be?
Quite often, venues will only provide a menu tasting once the contract has been signed. If tasting of the food prior is a key part of your decision whether to proceed with the venue, check out their cafe/ restaurant. Worse comes to worse, you might have to pay for a menu tasting prior but this can usually be deducted from the final bill.
14) What chairs do you provide? Are we allowed to bring our own chairs?
15) Is there a dedicated/ private entrance for my guests?
16) What are the deposit and payment terms?
17) Are there any additional costs (civil ceremony fee, turnaround charge, cake-cutting fee, cleaning fee, security fee, VAT, service charge etc.)
18) If booking an outdoor venue, is there a wet weather plan?
19) Have your Pinterest board to hand! Ask the Wedding Co-ordinator if your board is realistic/ how would it be possible within their venue.